Our Mission is to Provide Therapies For Nervous System Diseases Through Groundbreaking Research
In 2007, Dr. Sally Temple and Dr. Jeffrey Stern founded the Regenerative Research Foundation and the Neural Stem Cell Institute (NSCI), the first independent stem cell research institute in the country, for the successful translation of neural stem cell discoveries to therapeutics. Rooted in academic research and administratively lean, NSCI can rapidly and effectively advance discoveries out of the research lab towards the clinic.
In the 13 years since opening, work out of the NSCI has produced:
- Over 80 publications relevant to neurodegenerative disease.
- 3 awarded patents with others still under review.
- The creation of Neuracell, a non-profit core facility that distributes stem cell lines and models and helps others perform Neural Stem Cell research.
- The successful launch of a biotechnology company, StemCulture LLC, to sell stem cell reagents.
- The creation of a therapeutic company for Eye therapies, Luxa Biotech.
- The creation of a stem cell meeting geared towards young investigators in the field, The Next Gen Stem Cell Conference.
Like most academic institutions, NSCI is dependent on federal and state grants and has been successful in securing funds through the years. Our investigators have secured grants from the National Institute of Health, as well as the NY State Department of Health.
The Neural Stem Cell Institute is a 501c3 non-profit organization and accepts charitable donations. The donations we receive support and accelerate our neurodegenerative disease research programs, with less than 5% going to administrative support.
We urge you to learn about stem cell research and the promise it offers. Please come by the Institute for a tour and talk to us about our research. To arrange a visit or learn more about how you can support our programs, please contact us.
To learn more about our dedicated researchers and staff please visit the team page.